t’s hard to resist when you find yourself craving a meal of Tex-Mex. From chips and guacamole to crispy tacos, few cuisines are as snackable and comforting at the same time! Chuy’s does Tex-Mex just right and has managed to bring a mixture of authenticity and accessibility to its patrons. This classic Tex-Mex restaurant was opened back in 1982 in Austin, Texas, with the aim of bringing authentic food to customers in a unique, welcoming atmosphere. Since its humble beginnings, Chuy’s has continued to expand, claiming hearts in 17 states across the U.S. One of the best things about this beloved chain is how vegetarian and vegan-friendly it is. With a wide variety of vegan options, Chuy’s gives vegans a spot to enjoy a cuisine that is traditionally as meat-centric as it gets. To make it even easier to find all the vegan options, the research team at Vegan Unlocked has done the work of creating a secret menu, vegan menu, and selecting editor’s picks. From veggie enchiladas to guac-covered nachos, there’s something for everyone!
The Vegan Unlocked Research Team analyzed all 38 items on the Chuy’s menu. We came away with a custom creation and a number of delectable on-menu options.
Chuys has a score of 3.3 out of 5 stars as a vegan-friendly restaurant. This is higher than the majority of fast-food restaurants, so we’d say that Chuy’s does pretty well and is a decent choice for those looking for a casual, vegan bite to eat!
This score is calculated based on the amount of vegan offerings on Chuy’s menu “as is” or with an easy substitution, a restaurant vegan customizability score and finally the amount of vegan options vs non-vegan options. Learn more about Vegan Unlocked Ratings.
One of the first things you learn as a new vegan is how to fit your lifestyle into your daily life. It’s easy when you’re at home, since you can simply only keep non-vegan food in the house, but it can be more complicated when eating out with friends. Fortunately, it gets easier to be resourceful and flexible the more you do it! Often, customizing a menu to fit your dietary needs comes down to looking out for the foods to avoid and knowing what to ask your server. To make it even easier, Vegan Unlocked has done some of the work for you by creating a secret menu at this tasty fast food joint. We don’t think you’ll be disappointed!
To skip the customization and order from the regular menu, scroll down to find the Chuy’s vegan menu items and our editors’ top picks below this section.
Order the Nachos appetizer, which includes Tostada chips, refried beans, lettuce, pico de gallo, and jalapenos. Add guacamole for extra flavor and hold the cheese for a tasty meal that will leave you as happy and satisfied as any non-vegan.
All Vegan Options on Chuy’s Menu
What are all of the vegan options on the Chuy’s menu?
- Guacamole Tacos: Choose Crispy Tacos, but hold the cheese and the beef, and add guacamole. You’re left with crispy tortillas filled with lettuce, tomatoes and guacamole, with a side of Mexican rice and refried beans.
- Bean Tacos: Go for Crispy Tacos, but hold the cheese and the beef. Instead of keeping those refried beans on the side, plop them right into your crispy tortilla! You’ll have crispy tortillas filled with lettuce, tomatoes, and beans, with a side of Mexican rice.
- Veggie Enchiladas: Enjoy a meal of spinach, onions, zucchini, red bell peppers, serranos, roasted green chiles, and corn with Ranchero sauce, all wrapped up in a homemade corn tortilla, with a side of refried beans and Mexican rice. Hold the cheese and you’re all set for a filling, veggie-packed meal.
- Grilled Chicken(less) Salad: If you’re feeling on the healthy side, this salad is perfect for a plate ofTex-Mex greens. You’ll get assorted veggies on a bed of lettuce. Hold the cheese and the chicken, and choose Cilantro Vinaigrette for a flavorful vegan dressing.
- Mexi Cobb Salad: Fresh salad mix with fresh green chiles, avocados and tomatoes. Hold the chicken and the cheese for a refreshing vegan meal, and add on the Cilantro Vinaigrette for extra flavor.
- Guacamole Taco Salad: This hearty salad contains fresh salad mix with tortilla strips, guacamole and tomatoes. Make sure to ask for no chicken and no cheese.
Appetizers & Sides
- Chips & Salsa
- Corn Tortillas
- Blue Corn Tortillas
- Mexican Rice
- Green Chile Rice
- Refried Beans
- Charro Beans
Editor’s Picks: What Are the Best Vegan Meals at Chuy’s?
The Veggie Enchiladas are hands-down the best vegan meal at Chuy’s. Full of veggies and flavor, and with a side of Mexican rice and refried beans, it’s hard to beat these tasty enchiladas when in the mood for a a hearty Tex-Mex vegan meal!
The healthiest vegan option at Chuy’s is the modified Mexi Cobb Salad. If you’re looking for a clean, refreshing dish of veggies, this is the meal to order.
The modified Bean Tacos are the most filling vegan meal, with a crispy tortilla, beans and a few veggies. If you’re looking for a hearty vegan dish to satisfy your Tex-Mex craving, try Chuy’s Bean Tacos.
Note: Vegan Unlocked is a tool dedicated to helping people find plant-based options. We are not an allergen resource, and want to encourage our friends with allergies to proceed with caution. We cannot control and don’t always know when cross contamination takes place. As far as cross-contamination of vegan foods with animal products, this is completely up to your comfort level as an individual. Read our stance on cross contamination.
Frequently Asked Chuy’s Questions
Are Chuy’s Refried Beans vegan?
Yes, fortunately for us, Chuy’s refried beans are vegan.
Is the Ranchero Sauce at Chuy’s vegan?
Yes, the Ranchero Sauce is fully vegan, containing a medley of fire roasted tomatoes, cilantro, onions, bell peppers, and spices.
Is the Chile Relleno at Chuy’s vegan?
The Chile Relleno at Chuy’s is sadly non-vegan, containing cheese and egg.
You can find out more information on the Chuy’s menu by visiting their website here.
Dining at Chuy’s Soon?
Be sure to tag Vegan Unlocked and share your vegan meal or custom creation to be entered into our monthly giveaway!