Chipotle, one of America’s favorite Mexican restaurant chains, is a fast-food joint known for its fresh ingredients and made to order meals. With over 3,000 stores in the US and a significant international presence, the chain’s humble beginnings in an abandoned ice cream store might surprise you. Of course, its popularity has seen it soar to great heights since then, and now it even has its own DJ to curate its “music identity” – Brooklyn-based DJ Christopher Golub. Over the years, Chipotle has become a go-to to hungry vegans, offering a wide selection of customizable plant-based offerings – although, unfortunately, its Beyond-meat-based Chorizo is no longer featured nationwide. At Vegan Unlocked, we’ve made it even easier to find something delicious with our secret menu, full menu, and editor’s picks – so get ready to load up your burrito because you can make it as big as your appetite!
The Vegan Unlocked Research Team searched through all seven items on Chipotle’s menu and came away with some mouth-watering plant-based mash-ups and an impressive array of on-menu items.
Chipotle scores 3.0 out of 5 stars with a Vegan Friendly Menu. So, although Chipotle is yet to stock a plant-based mince, there is a brilliant offering of creative combos on the menu, and even some devilishly delicious braised tofu.
This score is calculated based on the number of vegan offerings on Chipotle’s menu “as is” or with an easy substitution, a restaurant vegan customizability score and finally, the number of vegan options vs non-vegan options. Learn more about how Vegan Unlocked Ratings.
When eating out at a chain with friends and family, you might be used to gearing up for disappointment – perhaps you always pack a cheeky energy bar, just in case. While that’s not really an issue at Chipotle, due to its fantastic on-menu items, you’ll be happy to know there’s actually even more on offer than just its on-menu items. At Vegan Unlocked, we sent in our team of researchers to scope out the secret menu items, and they came back with some truly tantalizing options. Remember, it’s not just the experts who can attempt such a food feat either – you can also try it yourself. Sometimes this can just involve doubling up on braised tofu, adding in some extra spice and creamy guac, or swapping out the Queso.
Don’t fancy mixing and matching? Scroll on to find Chipotle’s vegan menu items and our editors’ top picks just below this section.
The Spicy Vegan Bowl with Sofritas Tofu
Sofritas first arrived at Chipotle in 2014, and we’ve been thanking our lucky stars ever since because this Mexican braised tofu is an absolutely delicious addition to the chain’s menu. To experience this taste sensation, order the vegan tofu bowl with Sofritas, shredded tofu spiced with poblano pepper, cumin, and chipotle chile, and then add in fresh roasted chili-corn salsa and tomatillo-green chili salsa to make it a real saucy affair.
The Vegan Taco with Rainbow Veggies
Fancy cramming in some of your five-a-day in a delicious and nutritious way? The Vegan Taco with Rainbow Veggies is for you. Order up some tacos and request that they’re filled with fajita veggies, a mixture of bell peppers and onions flavored with salt and oregano. Add in some romaine lettuce, guacamole, and a salsa of your choice, we recommend the tomatillo-red chili salsa.
All the Vegan Options at Chipotle
So, what else is vegan at Chipotle? Strap in because there’s a lot to work with here.
- Veggie Burrito – Served in a soft flour tortilla, this burrito can be packed full of all your favorite veggies. You can really go ham, too, because all the toppings are vegan except for the sour cream, cheese, and Queso Blanco.
- Sofritas Burrito – If you like spice and oodles of flavor, then this one is perfect for you. Layered with braised tofu and accompanied by veggies and salsas of your choice, this burrito is completely vegan when ordered without sour cream, cheese, or Queso Blanco
- Veggie Burrito Bowl – If you’re in the mood to veg out, this order is right up your street. Served on Chipotle’s super greens lettuce blend with pinto beans, fresh tomato salsa, and fajita veggies, ordered without sour cream, cheese, and Queso Blanco, it’ll be completely plant-powered.
- Sofritas Burrito Bowl – Tofu is a staple soy-based part of many vegan diets and is incredibly adaptable and brilliant at soaking up flavor, which it does in this dish. Order without sour cream, cheese, and Queso Blanco, and you’ve bought yourself a ticket to flavor town.
- Vegetarian Salad Bowl – Packed full of veggies, this is a great choice for a light bite or a quick meal on the go.
- Vegan Bowl – With this order, you don’t have to worry about swapping out the cheese, queso, or sour cream, because it’s effortlessly 100% plant-powered. This bowl comes with cilantro-lime brown rice, black beans, fresh tomato salsa, corn salsa, and shredded romaine lettuce, and really hits the spot.
- Sofrita Salad – This tofu-powered salad is protein-dense, spicy, and satisfying. Order without sour cream, cheese, or Queso Blanco to make it vegan.
- Veggie Salad – When ordering this sumptuous salad, remember that all the toppings are vegan except for sour cream, cheese, and Queso Blanco, so let your imagination run wild.
- Veggie Tacos – All your favorite veggies packed into a crunchy taco. Ordered without sour cream, cheese, and Queso Blanco to make your vegan dining dreams come true.
- Sofrita Tacos – These tacos come with tofu simmered in a smokey, spicy, red Mexican sauce, with extra toppings of your choice, which are all vegan except for sour cream, cheese, and Queso Blanco.
- Chips and guacamole
- Chips and fresh tomato salsa
- Tortilla on the side
- Chips and tomatillo-red chili salsa
- Chips and tomatillo-green salsa
- Chips and roasted chili-corn salsa
- “Kids’ build your own” with sofritas (all the toppings are vegan except for sour cream and cheese – so you have free reign when mixing and matching)
- “Kids’ build your own” with guacamole (again, all toppings are plant-based, bar the sour cream and cheese)
Sauces, Add Ons, Toppings
- White rice
- Brown rice
- Black beans
- Pinto beans
- Fresh tomato salsa
- Roasted chili-corn salsa
- Tomatillo-green chili salsa
- Tomatillo-red chili salsa
- Fajita veggies
- Romaine lettuce
Editor’s Picks: What Are the Top Vegan Meals at Chipotle?
The crunch from the taco shell, the subtle spice from the poblanos, the layers of flavor in the Mexican sauce – that’s why we believe the tastiest tacos on the menu are the Sofrita Tacos.
Chipotle is famed for its fantastic customizable options, meaning that you can really make your flavor dreams a reality, and when it comes to veg – the sky’s the limit. The top option for veg heads is the Vegetarian Salad Bowl for greenery as far as the eye can see.
It’s not always easy to dine out with kids in tow and guarantee that they’ll be happy with the vegan options on offer, but luckily, that won’t be a concern here. The best option for kids on the menu is the “Kids’ build your own” with sofritas. Kids love choice, and this option puts a bit of autonomy in their hands while also making sure they get some veg in their bellies!
Note: Vegan Unlocked is a tool dedicated to helping people find plant-based options. We are not an allergen resource, and want to encourage our friends with allergies to proceed with caution. We cannot control and don’t always know when cross contamination takes place. See the Chipotle allergen menu here. As far as cross-contamination of vegan foods with animal products, this is completely up to your comfort level as an individual. Read our stance on cross contamination.
Frequently Asked Chipotle Questions
Are Chipotle Pinto Beans Vegan?
If you’re in the mood for a bean bonanza at Chipotle, you’re in luck because both its black beans and pinto beans are vegan – so dig in.
Is Chipotle Queso Vegan?
No, unfortunately, Chipotle doesn’t yet offer vegan queso. Its queso and Monterey Jack cheese are both made with dairy products and contain vegetable-based rennet.
Is Chipotle Guac Vegan?
Yes, the guac at Chipotle is 100% vegan-friendly – so feel free to slather it on literally everything!
You can find out more information on Chipotle by visiting their website here.
Planning on visiting Chipotle soon?
Be sure to tag Vegan Unlocked and share your vegan meal or custom creation to be entered into our monthly giveaway!