BJ’s is a contemporary casual-dining chain that started up in Southern California back in 1978. It’s known for its extensive and rather decadent menu and craft beer list, having won numerous awards for the latter. You’re likely to get service with a smile, too, as it’s been found to be one of the best places to work. And it’s smiles all around because it has plenty of plant-based options for you to choose from as a vegan. At Vegan Unlocked, we’ve made things even more straightforward by bringing together all those options in one place. With our full menu, secret menu, and editor’s picks, you’ll be able to walk through BJ’s doors secure in the knowledge that you’re going to have a great meal out. Pasta or pizza, salad or nachos – we’ve got you covered.
The Vegan Unlocked Research Team combed through all 215 items on the BJ’s menu and came away with one lip-smacking custom creation and a whole host of on-menu options that are out of this world.
BJ’s scores 3.7 out of 5 stars as a vegan-friendly restaurant. So, that means there are a plethora of plant-based options for you to sink your teeth into. However, you won’t find any non-dairy cheese and, unfortunately, no vegan-friendly desserts.
This score is calculated based on the number of vegan offerings on BJs menu “as is” or with an easy substitution, a restaurant vegan customizability score and finally, the number of vegan options vs non-vegan options. Learn more about Vegan Unlocked Ratings.
Eating out as a vegan is not without its challenges. While plant-based offerings are undoubtedly improving across the country, there are still quite a few places we’ve found to be lacking. It’s refreshing then, when you find somewhere like BJ’s with a range of accidentally vegan and intentionally plant-based dishes for you to enjoy. At Vegan Unlocked, we’re always on the lookout for a plant-based menu opportunity and sent in our team of vegan researchers to find out if there were any secret menu items for you to devour. It turns out there is! You can even get the creative juices flowing and try out inventing a new combo yourself – and with somewhere like BJ’s, there are so many custom creations to invent.
Don’t fancy trying out a custom creation? Scroll on to find the BJ’s vegan menu items and our editors’ top picks just below this section.
Loaded sweet potato
To check out this rather heavenly carb-combo, order a roasted sweet potato; then, get a side of garlic-roasted vegetables, avocado and chimichurri and dig in!
All the Vegan Options at BJ’s
So, what else is on the BJ’s vegan menu?
- Italiano Vegetable Pasta: Transport yourself to the cobbled streets of Sienna with this Italian-style pasta. Ordered without parmesan cheese or the garlic knot and you’ve got a delicious, veg-loaded plant-based dish.
- Cauliflower & Quinoa Power Bowl: Without feta or greek yogurt crema, this is a bowl of plant-based goodness that will get you ready to take on the world or just the afternoon.
- House Salad: Simple and straightforward, when ordered without the cheese, this house salad is crisp and light.
- Enlightened Kale and Roasted Brussels Sprouts Salad: Taste enlightenment with this delicious salad that’s full to the brim with superfoods. When ordered without goat cheese, you’re good to go.
- Chips & Housemade Guacamole & Salsa: When choosing a naughty treat, there’s nothing quite like a bowl full of chips dipped in guac and salsa. This dish is also 100% vegan, so you can really go to town.
- Barbeque Chicken(less) chopped salad with avocado: Ordered without chicken, cheese, BBQ ranch, or onion strings, this salad is vegan-friendly and will have you salivating.
- Santa Fe Salad: To enjoy this Santa Fe-inspired salad in all its plant-based glory, order without the chicken or cheese and swap the Santa Fe ranch with any of the vegan dressings. Italian, balsamic, or red wine vinaigrette, whatever takes your fancy and adds a little tang.
- Loaded nachos ordered without cheese, sriracha queso, no sour cream
- Chips & housemade guacamole and salsa
- Vegan lentil with ancient grains soup
- Sautéed green beans
- Garlic roasted vegetables
- Sweet potato fries
- Rice Pilaf
- Quinoa and brown rice blend
Sauces, Add Ons, Toppings
- Italian dressing
- Strawberry vinaigrette
- Balsamic vinaigrette
- Rice wine vinaigrette
- Red wine vinaigrette
- Chimichurri sauce
Editor’s Picks: What Are the Top Vegan Meals at BJ’s?
Sometimes you just need a stuffed potato to keep you ticking and get you through the day. At BJ’s, the best lunchtime charge-up meal is the Loaded Sweet Potato. With a delightful mix of garlic-roasted veggies and soft, sliced avocado, this dish is an absolute must.
If you’re on a health kick or just looking to incorporate more of your five-a-day, the Enlightened Kale and Roasted Brussels Sprouts Salad is BJ’s nutrient-packed nourisher that is both delicious and nutritious.
Whether you’ve had a long, tiring week or you’re just looking for a satisfying comfort meal, the winter warmer Vegan Lentil with Ancient Grains Soup is the perfect meal for you at BJ’s.
Note: Vegan Unlocked is a tool dedicated to helping people find plant-based options. We are not an allergen resource, and want to encourage our friends with allergies to proceed with caution. We cannot control and don’t always know when cross contamination takes place. See BJ’s allergen menu here. As far as cross-contamination of vegan foods with animal products, this is completely up to your comfort level as an individual. Read our stance on cross contamination.
Frequently Asked BJ’s Questions
Is BJ’s Veggie Burger Vegan?
No, unfortunately, the veggie burger at BJs contains dairy, so while it’s a great option for vegetarians, it’s not vegan-friendly.
Are Fries at BJ’s Vegan?
Yes, you’re in luck! The fries at BJ’s are vegan and delicious, dipped in chimichurri sauce.
Is BJ’s Lentil Soup Vegan?
Yes. Packed with pulses and ancient grains, this soup is vegan-friendly and great food to fuel you morning, noon or night.
You can find out more information on BJ’s by visiting their website here.
Planning on visiting BJ’s soon?
Be sure to tag Vegan Unlocked and share your vegan meal or custom creation to be entered into our monthly giveaway!