There’s nothing like soup on a rainy day. This recipe is the perfect melody of vegetables and herbs blended to creamy perfection. It’s sure to warm and nourish your whole body! The delicata squash adds fall flavors that are reminiscent of autumn. Curl up by the fire, open up a book, and listen to the rain as you enjoy this fall classic!
Vegan Delicata Squash Blended Soup
- 1 whole delicata squash medium size
- 1 whole cauliflower small
- 1 tbsp olive oil plus more for coating squash and cauliflower
- 3 whole carrots
- 1 whole sweet or yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp lemon pepper optional
- 1 pinch fennel
- 1 carton Veggie broth
- 1/2 cup fried onions for garnish optional
- Preheat your oven to 400 F
- Cut the squash and cauliflower into quarters. Scoop the seeds and pulp out of squash.
- Cover the squash and cauliflower in olive oil and massage thoroughly into all crevices.
- Place cauliflower and squash, skin side up, on a tray and roast in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté onions and carrots in a your soup pot with 1 tbsp olive oil. Add garlic, rosemary, thyme, lemon pepper, fennel, and salt. Cook until onions begin to turn translucent and carrots are soft.
- Add squash and cauliflower to the pot with your sautéed veggies. You’ll know they’re done roasting when the cauliflower starts to turn golden brown and the squash cuts like butter.
- Add your entire carton of veggie broth.
- With an immersion blender, or a regular blender, blend together broth and veggies until smooth. Add salt to taste.
- Scoop into bowls and add fried onions as a topping (optional but delicious and adds great texture!).
Nina Lowry is an undergraduate student at UC Berkeley in her last year studying Molecular Environmental Biology with a focus in Animal Health and Behavior and minoring in Conservation and Resource Studies. She has been vegan for 2 years and grew up mostly plant-based. She is passionate about animal rights, animal behavior, and sustainability. She has a rescued brown tabby named Iggy who is her pride and joy and is talented at learning new tricks and walking on a leash! She has rescued many animals from lab guinea pigs to dairy calves and hopes to participate in many more. She enjoys ceramics, photography, camping, traveling, and working with her hands to craft and create!