Starting from humble beginnings in the 1960s, American pizza chain Domino’s is now recognized as a leader in the pizza delivery world. In 2022, the giant dominated nationally, with the largest slice of the pizza chain market. That said, it has a global presence, with restaurants in more than 90 countries – some more vegan-friendly than others. In the UK, for example, Domino’s offers a vegan margherita, the vegan PepperoNAY, and even vegan nuggets. There’s the Heura‘s Varbacoa pizza in Spain, while Australia offers the Vegan Impossible Godfather and more. Rather disappointingly, Domino’s in the US is trailing behind when it comes to vegan options. Nevertheless, at Vegan Unlocked, with our secret menu, full vegan menu, and editor’s picks, you’ll still be able to find something delicious – and it won’t just be a boring pizza base slathered in a bland and tasteless tomato sauce.
The Vegan Unlocked Research Team combed through all 49 items on the Domino’s menu and came away with one lip-smacking custom creation and four on-menu options from which you can choose.
Domino’s scores 0.7 out of 5 stars with Little to No Options Available. This means that there are very few as-is vegan options on the Domino’s menu, so you’ll have to get a little creative. Also, we hope you like pizza marinara because there’s no vegan cheese on offer.
This score is calculated based on the number of vegan offerings on Domino’s menu “as is” or with an easy substitution, a restaurant vegan customizability score and finally, the number of vegan options vs non-vegan options. Learn more about how Vegan Unlocked Ratings are calculated.
When a big fast food chain, like Domino’s, appears to be lacking in vegan options, it may feel like it’s time to throw the towel in and continue trudging onward in your search for vegan food. However, although Domino’s is admittedly rather undaring when it comes to catering to vegan clientele, with a little know-how, you can hack the Domino’s vegan menu and find something delectable. We know it’s not always straightforward, so we sent in our team of vegan researchers to do some digging, and they delivered, finding one spicy secret menu option. That said, it doesn’t have to be complicated, and sometimes veganizing a chain’s menu can just involve subbing in some plant-based sauce or switching pizza bases.
In the mood for something more straightforward? Scroll on to find Domino’s vegan menu items and our editors’ top picks just below.
Domino’s might be famous for its pizzas, but that’s not the only Italian-inspired treat on the menu. To order this colorful pasta dish, choose to build your own pasta and ask for no sauce. Then add onions, jalapenos, and some roasted red peppers; add in a hot buffalo dipping cup and a garlic dipping cup, and you’ve got yourself a flavorsome and seriously spicy pasta dish.
All the Vegan Options at Domino’s
So, what else is on the Domino’s vegan menu?
- Build your own pizza with a gluten-free crust: Around 18 million people in the US are sensitive to gluten, so it’s great to see more chains offering gluten-free options. Ordered without cheese, this pizza is almost vegan. However, we must highlight that this pizza base is made from dough that contains L-Cysteine, and it also contains honey. So, use your discretion here.
- Build your own pizza with a thin crust: Again, ordered without cheese, this pizza is nearly vegan-friendly, but the dough contains L-Cysteine from milk-derived ingredients.
- Pasta Primavera: This delightful pasta dish, when ordered without Alfredo sauce or cheese, is vegan and comes with sautéd fresh baby spinach, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, and onions. It’s possible to add pizza sauce to the pasta, but unfortunately, this is not an option that’s available online.
- Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich: This mouth-watering Mediterranean sandwich comes with roasted red peppers, banana peppers, diced tomatoes, fresh baby spinach, and fresh onions. Ordered without the three cheeses, this sandwich is 100% vegan-friendly. You can also order a marinara or garlic dipping cup as a side to spread on the sandwich to jazz it up.
- Build your own pasta: This order gives way to a lot of creativity and allows you to select from three veggie toppings, including banana peppers, black olives, diced tomato, green peppers, jalapeno peppers, mushrooms, onions, pineapple, roasted red peppers, spinach – so quite a wide selection. It’s also possible to add in some pizza sauce, but again, that’s not an online option.
Sauces, Add Ons, Toppings
- Pizza sauce
- Robust-inspired tomato sauce
- Hot buffalo sauce
- Jalapeno peppers
- Banana peppers
- Diced tomatoes
- Black olives
- Marinara dipping sauce
- Roasted red peppers
- Green peppers
- Garlic dipping sauce
- Sweet mango habanero sauce/dipping cup
- Kicker hot sauce dipping cup
Editor’s Picks: What Are the Top Vegan Meals at Domino’s?
According to research by Kalsec, around 80% of US consumers enjoy spicy food. So, if you’re one of the 80% and like a bit of heat to tantalize your tastebuds, you’re in luck. Our top pick for spice fans is the spicy pasta. This pasta dish really has a kick from the jalapenos and hot buffalo dipping cup, but it also has a great depth of flavor.
Want to be transported to the emerald bays of Corfu or Cyprus’ dazzling shores? Order the Domino’s Mediterranean must-have, the Mediterranean sandwich. Loaded with fresh vegetables and drowned in marinara or garlic dipping sauce, one bite, and you’ll be having a Ratatouille moment in the middle of your living room.
Pasta Primavera is light, fresh, and all about celebrating seasonal veg. This is our bring-back-spring pick, and it is bound to pick you up when you’re struggling with the cold weather and rain.
Note: Vegan Unlocked is a tool dedicated to helping people find plant-based options. We are not an allergen resource, and want to encourage our friends with allergies to proceed with caution. We cannot control and don’t always know when cross contamination takes place. See the Domino’s allergen menu here. As far as cross-contamination of vegan foods with animal products, this is completely up to your comfort level as an individual. Read our stance on cross contamination.
Frequently Asked Domino’s Questions
Does Domino’s Have Vegan Cheese?
While you can certainly veganize your Domino’s order, at the moment, the pizza chain does not offer vegan cheese in the USA.
Is Domino’s Crust Vegan?
Although the thin crust used to be the only vegan crust at Domino’s, the chain has now started using dough conditioner L-cysteine. While L-cysteine can be plant-based, according to Domino’s, the L-cysteine they currently use comes from dairy by-products. Likewise, the other crusts contain whey and honey.
Is Domino’s Regular Sauce Vegan?
Yes, Domino’s regular sauce, the robust inspired tomato sauce, is vegan-friendly.
You can find out more information on Domino’s by visiting their website here.